Monday, October 8, 2012

Why I Go Red

    I try to keep my posts limited to books, writing, and the like. On occasion, events pop up that spur me to post about something a bit unrelated. Today, I received an email from the St. Louis chapter of the American Heart Association, of which I am an active member. Members were encouraged to share their stories with Rosie O'Donnell through an account she established after becoming affiliated with the organization. For those of you who do not know, she recently suffered from a heart attack, had a stent placed, and is recovering well.

    Like so many other woman, Rosie had previously been largely unaware that heart disease impacted women. Prior to her heart attack, she did not know that heart disease is the number one cause of death for women. I listened to her story, then I took a minute and shared my thoughts on why I Go Red. It is short but hopefully, the message is clear. I hope you might take a minute to read it as well.

Dear Rosie, 
     I Go Red for myself as an eight year survivor of two forms of incurable heart disease. I Go Red for my four children, in hopes that they will enter adulthood healthy, informed, and prepared for their future. I Go Red for the many young and active women like myself who find themselves diagnosed at an early age (I was only 23), totally unaware that heart disease is a disease for all ages. I Go Red for the all mother's who need to be healthy role models for their children.  I Go Red for my students, who need their teacher in the best shape she can be in. I Go Red for you, to help you realize that you are not alone in fighting heart disease. I Go Red today and everyday in an effort to end heart disease. 
- Karen Guccione-Englert, survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment